• Grading and Assignments: All class grades will be formative or summative.  Formative grades will consist of such things as daily assignments, homework, and essay drafts, and will form 40% of the quarterly grade.  Summative grades form the remaining 60% and consist of such items as final drafts, presentations, and test grades. 

    Make-up Work:  It is always the student’s responsibility to complete assignments missed due to absence.  Missed quizzes and tests will be made up at TLC (held in the English Lab, Tuesdays through Thursdays from 2:30 – 4:30) within three school days (or the first available TLC day) of the student’s return.  If a student is absent the day an essay or other assignment is due, that assignment is to be turned in immediately upon the return to class.

    Class Management / Class Discipline Approach:

    At Destrehan High School we take a Restorative Approach to discipline.  Our primary focus, in conjunction with teaching and learning, is to build positive and working relationships.  My discipline management plan will be consistent with the following restorative action steps:

    1. Remind – students will be reminded of rule(s) or directions
    2. Redirect – students will be specifically redirected to the task at hand
    3. Relocate – students will be relocated to either reflect upon (mis) behavior, calm down, or removed from a potentially disruptive situation (If necessary)
    4. Reflect – students will be guided to reflect upon what happened, what could have prevented the situation, and how to make amends to the appropriate parties (If necessary)

     *Further or more severe consequences may be assigned if disruptive behavior continues or for more serious incidents/offenses

     Conferences:  Students have the best chance to succeed when parents and teachers work together.  My prep time is during fourth block should you wish to schedule a conference.

    Supplies: Students will need the following:

                ~ a three-ring binder 

                ~ two composition notebooks

                ~ loose-leaf paper

                ~ pens, pencils, and highlighters

                ~ post-it notes if this is your child's preferred way of annotating