Dear Parents and Students:
Welcome to the new school year and most importantly welcome to Intensive Algebra here at Destrehan High School. My name is Preston Determan, and I will be your child’s Intensive Algebra teacher until your students full time teacher Jessica Glass returns. The school year promises to be exciting and full of academic challenges and opportunities. I am excited to work with you and your child in the hopes of completing a successful mathematics experience. Below is a syllabus to inform and prepare you and your child for this upcoming course. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by phone or by e-mail.
Wildcat ROARS: Class Expectations
- Respect everyone.
- Optimize learning – Actively Participate.
- Attendance and timeliness are essential.
- Responsibility – Be prepared every day.
- Success – Dress for it.
Intensive Algebra grading will comply with the DHS Math Department policy that computes quarterly grades based on a formula of 60% for summative assessments and 40% for formative assessments. In the Spring, each Quarter is worth 20% and the LEAP will be worth 20%.
- 2 cumulative tests per grading quarter
- Homework is assessed for accuracy
- 7 formative grades per grading quarter
- DMRs are completed and graded daily
Students that are absent have three (3) days to make-up tests and assignments upon their return to class. Test will be made up in TLC after school.
A=100-93 B= 92-85 C= 84-75 D= 74-67 F= 66-0I= Incomplete
- 1 ½ ” Binder
- Loose Leaf Paper
- Pencils (mechanical preferred)
- Extra Erasers
- Colored Pens/Colored Pencils
- Scientific Calculator (TI-30X IIS)
- Graph Paper
Free Online Tutoring and Homework Assistance
(HomeworkLa.org), a service of the State Library of Louisiana, offers FREE online tutoring and academic resources
from Tutor.com for Louisiana residents from kindergarten students through adult learners. Get help in Math,
Science, Social Studies or English from a live tutor. The services can be accessed from a Louisiana public library,
from your home computer or from your mobile device by going to HomeworkLa.org.
The Learning Center (TLC)
Additional assistance is available through TLC, our after-school tutoring program. Sessions in mathematics are
available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 2:30 - 4:30.
Online Video Lesson Support
To improve parental involvement and student study habits when absent or confused with your homework, DHS is providing overview videos that summarize the lesson that was taught in the Algebra I Eureka classroom. The link, https://www.youtube.com/chanel/UCvqzOrJHPHZgmhqlesYJs9g, takes you to the YouTube channel with all of our videos for you to take advantage of. You may also go to your teacher’s webpage to find a link to the YouTube channel as well.
Math Department Mission Statement
The mission of the Mathematics Department of Destrehan High School is to provide consistent, quality, academic
instruction that empowers students to develop an intuitive understanding of mathematical concepts and to apply
these skills in real-world situations.
Class Management and Discipline Approach
At Destrehan High School we take a Restorative Approach to discipline. Our primary focus, in conjunction with
teaching and learning, is to build positive and working relationships. My discipline management plan will be consistent with the following restorative action steps:
- Remind – students will be reminded of rule(s) or directions
- Redirect – students will be specifically redirected to the task at hand
- Relocate – students will be relocated to either reflect upon behavior, calm down, or removed from a potentially disruptive situation (If necessary)
- Reflect – students will be guided to reflect upon what happened, what could have prevented the situation, and how to make amends to the appropriate parties (If necessary)
*Further or more severe consequences may be assigned if disruptive behavior continues or for more serious incidents/offenses