QUALIFYING FOR SERVICES
How does a student qualify for gifted services in St. Charles Parish Public Schools?
- A parent/guardian, teacher, or other school personnel suspects a student might be gifted and refers the student to the SBLC chairperson at the student’s school.
- An initial screening is conducted. If it is determined that the student should continue with further assessment, a school designee administers an aptitude assessment. The score from this aptitude assessment along with achievement evidence is considered by the SBLC.
- If it is determined that the student has passed the screening, the referral packet is completed and the student is scheduled to participate in the state-level evaluation administered by SCPPS Pupil Appraisal.
How does a student qualify for talented art, talented theatre, or talented music in St. Charles Parish Public Schools?
- Someone observes the student demonstrating characteristics of unique talent in the visual arts and/or performing arts.
- Student and parent are questioned regarding their interest in being screened for the program. The student may then be screened.
- The student will be asked to prepare for the school-based screening by either completing a portfolio (visual art), preparing a monologue, or preparing a piece for a musical performance.
- If it is determined that the student passed the screening, the referral packet is completed and the student is scheduled to participate in the state-level evaluation proctored by SCPPS and adjudicated by state-level evaluators.
St. Charles Parish Public Schools Department of Special Education | Gifted and Talented