Early Head Start
The Early Head Start Program provides services to infants, toddlers (birth to 2 ½ years of age) and their families, residing on the West Bank. Early Head Start applications for George Washington Carver Early Learning Center can be obtained at St. Charles Parish Public School Board Office, GW Carver Early Learning Center or via the links at the bottom of this page.
Early Head Start
George Washington Carver Early Learning Center
337 Gum Street
Hahnville, LA 70057
Telephone: (985) 783-6617 or (985) 783-6064
1. Support children’s optimal physical, health, intellectual and social-emotional development.
2. Strengthen the role of families as primary caregivers of their children through education and support of parents and extended family members. Enhance family self-sufficiency and improvement.
3. Promote a comprehensive network of services and supports through collaborative relationships with community providers.
4. Support each staff person’s capacity to function as a member of a well integrated, diverse and mutually supportive team in the provision of Early Head Start services.
Infants/toddlers and their families will be provided services that result in long term positive effects on physical, intellectual, social-emotional and health development. These services are built upon the highest regard for culturally and linguistically responsive approaches and collaborative activities in warm and caring centers, homes and communities.
The Head Start Program (Early Head Start and Head Start) is based on the following beliefs:
- All children have the ability to learn.
- All children develop in their own way, each at their own time, and at their own pace.
- The family is the child’s “first teacher” and should be supported in this effort.
- Every child should be supported in their individual learning styles.
- Every child has a “treasure box” of strengths that must be opened and celebrated.
- Every child will develop the foundation to be successful in school through exposure to multiple learning opportunities.
The mission of the Head Start Program (Early Head Start and Head Start) in St. Charles Parish Public Schools is to provide children, including children with disabilities, with high quality services, that result in long term positive effects on their physical, health, intellectual and social-emotional development. These services are built upon the highest regard for culturally and linguistically responsive approaches and activities in warm and caring environments.