About Our School
Destrehan High School, a public secondary school, is located on the east bank of St. Charles Parish in Destrehan, Louisiana, approximately twenty-five miles west of New Orleans.
In the same year as Calvin Coolidge was elected President and Native Americans were granted U.S. citizenship, the citizens of St. Charles Parish unanimously approved a bond issue for school construction. The year was 1923. On September 15, 1924, the Destrehan High School facility received 234 pupils in grades one through eleven. Destrehan's first graduating class consisted of Placide Hotard and Eldridge Gervais. From this auspicious beginning, school growth has been continuous with the graduating classes of today totaling more than 300.
In 1969, Bethune High School was closed when a unitary system of education was organized in St. Charles Parish. Elementary-aged children attended schools as directed by court guidelines, and high school students became members of the the same student body at Destrehan High School.
With the opening of Destrehan High at its present location in 1975, located on Schexnaydre Lane, one part of the history of DHS ended and a new one began. The future of DHS continues to grow in education excellence and will be a solid part of the community for many years to come.