Advanced Studies Program Requirements
Students in the Advanced Studies Program engage in accelerated studies that challenge them as critical thinkers and creative problem solvers. To complete the Advanced Studies Program, a student must excel in at least 18 classes at the Honors, Gifted, Dual Enrollment (DE), and/or Advanced Placement (AP) level, as detailed below:
Curriculum (18 classes)
- English: 4 Honors, Gifted, DE, or AP classes
- Math: 4 Honors, Gifted, DE, or AP classes
- Science: 4 Honors, DE, or AP classes (Physics - at DHS or the Satellite Center - is accepted as a 4th honors science)
- Social Studies: 4 Honors, DE, or AP classes (Must include Honors Civics and AP US History)
- Electives: 2 additional Honors, Gifted, DE, or AP classes (Does not include Gifted Independent Study)
- Overall 85 B average in all Honors, Gifted, DE, and AP classes
- No FINAL grade lower than a C in any class
Checklist of Requirements for the Advanced Studies Program:
- Complete the Advanced Studies Program by taking and excelling in 18 Honors, DE, and/or AP courses
- Earn an overall AP/Honors GPA of at least a grade of 85 B
- Have no final grade lower than a C
- Eligibility for a Senior Jacket through the Academic Studies Program
- Recognition at the DHS Graduation Stole Ceremony.
- Recognition at the Advanced Studies Program's annual banquet.
- Graduation: white stole and/or cord, special floor seating for Advanced Studies Program honorees at the DHS Graduation Ceremony. Please note that only the Valedictorian and Salutatorian can sit on the stage.
TOPS: The Advanced Studies Program requirements match the core classes required for TOPS.
- Only Louisiana’s public universities accept Dual Enrollment credit. Students planning to attend private and/or out-of-state universities are encouraged to enroll in the comparable AP course.
- Only DE courses that qualify on the TOPS University 5-point scale are acceptable as Advanced Studies Program courses.
How do I enroll in Honors and AP courses?
- Complete the Google form and submit the required documentation on the Advanced Studies Program's webpage. See your counselor or Ms. Sniezak for the classroom code.
- A representative of the DHS Honors/AP program will contact you in late May to discuss your placement.
DHS Advanced Placement Department
Laura Abbey -- AP Program Administrator
Cristina Hargis -- AP Human Geography, AP Environmental Science
Kurt Hargis -- AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles
Jessica Hayes - AP Studio Art
Dawn Jacobi – AP Calculus AB (Gifted)
Janell Levet – AP Statistics
Bill Plasse – AP English Language, and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Art History
Jason Powell - AP Calculus AB
D'Otta Sniezak – AP English Language and Composition (Gifted), AP Literature and Composition (Gifted), AP World History
Maxwell Suitt – AP US History, AP Psychology, AP Environmental Science
Sarah Vines - AP Biology II
Christopher Williams - AP Music Theory