Advanced Studies Diploma Requirements
Students on the Advanced Studies Diploma track engage in accelerated studies that challenge them as critical thinkers and creative problem solvers. To earn an Advanced Studies Diploma, a student must excel in at least 18 classes at the Honors, Gifted, Dual Enrollment (DE), and/or Advanced Placement (AP) level, as detailed below:
Curriculum (18 classes)
- English: 4 Honors, Gifted, DE, or AP classes
- Math: 4 Honors, Gifted, DE, or AP classes
- Science: 4 Honors, DE, or AP classes (Physics is accepted as a 4th honors science)
- Social Studies: 4 Honors, DE, or AP classes (Must include Honors Civics and AP US History)
- Electives: 2 additional Honors, Gifted, DE, or AP classes
(Does not include Gifted Independent Study)
- Overall 85 B average in all Honors, Gifted, DE, and AP classes
- No FINAL grade lower than a C in any class
TOPS: The Advanced Studies Diploma requirements attain the core classes required for TOPS.
- Only Louisiana’s public universities accept Dual Enrollment credit. Students planning to attend private and/or out-of-state universities are encouraged to enroll in the comparable AP course.
- Only DE courses that qualify on the TOPS University 5-point scale are acceptable as Advanced Studies Diploma courses.
Checklist of Requirements for the Advanced Studies Diploma:
- Complete the Advanced Studies CORE 4+ course program of 18 Honors, DE, and/or AP courses
- Earn an overall AP/Honors GPA of at least a grade of 85 B
- Have no final grade lower than a C
How do I enroll in Honors and AP courses?
- Complete the Intent to Enroll form at registration. A representative of the DHS Honors/AP program will contact you in late May to discuss your placement.
DHS Advanced Placement Department
Laura Abbey -- AP Program Administrator
Dr. Veronique Day - DE French III
Cristina Hargis -- AP Human Geography
Kurt Hargis -- AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles
Lea Ann Harper - AP Studio Art
Dawn Jacobi – AP Calculus AB
Janell Levert – AP Statistics
Giovanna Giarelli - DE Spanish III
Daniel Martin - AP Chemistry, DE Chemistry 1
Haley Montz - AP World History
Bill Plasse – AP English Language, and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Art History
D'Otta Sniezak – AP English Language and Composition, AP Literature and Composition
Maxwell Suitt – AP US History, AP Psychology
Sarah Vines - AP Biology II
Christopher Williams - AP Music Theory