Phone: (504) 464-9254
Degrees and Certifications:
BA Elementary Education University of New Orleans
Mrs. Ronnette Messina
**UPDATE: For the fall semester of the 2020/2021 school year, I will be teaching 5th grade ELA and Social Studies "e- Learning".
Welcome to ELA and Social Studies. This is my 19th year of teaching at St. Rose Elementary School. I am always excited about helping my students improve their fluency skills, work cooperatively together, practice comprehension strategies and find a love for reading. I enjoy teaching my students to become better readers, writers, thinkers, speakers and listeners.
I hope you had a great summer break and enjoyed spending time with your families. As you set goals for this new year, please remember how important it is to spend time practicing reading strategies. Remember to schedule time to READ, READ, READ!!!! Below are some things you can do to continue to develop your reading skills:
- Read to your parents. Read to your siblings. Read to your pets. Read to your favorite stuffed animal.
- Remember reading aloud helps us to build good fluency practices. Good fluency practices include: accuracy, pace, phrasing, volume, smoothness and expression!
- Don't forget to work on comprehension as well. Stop and share your inner voice! Share your thoughts and feelings about the books you are reading and activities you are completing with your family.
- Be a good listener by following directions and doing your part as a responsible family member.
- Keep a journal by taking time to write about your day, write a letter to someone, create a poem and/or write a fiction story.
- Don’t forget to utilize Myon and Lexia.
Remember to practice reading skills by logging into LEXIA core 5 and enjoying all the fun activities this program has to offer.
Here is your challenge: try to reach/exceed the level of the grade you are in this school year!
Grade 3: levels 13-15
Grade 4: levels 16-18
Grade 5: levels 19-21
"Reading gives us some place to go, when we have to stay where we are!" ~ Mason Cooley