Phone: (504) 464-9254
Degrees and Certifications:
BA Elementary Education University of New Orleans
Mrs. Ronnette Messina
Welcome to literacy. This is my 18th year of teaching at St. Rose Elementary School. I am always excited about helping my students improve their fluency skills, work cooperatively together, practice comprehension strategies and find a love for reading. I will be teaching 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students to become better readers, writers, thinkers, speakers and listeners.
You did it! You made it to summer break!! I hope you enjoy spending time with your families. Please remember how important it is to practice being a good reader, writer, thinker, speaker and listener. Remember to schedule time to READ, READ, READ!!!! Below are some things you can do to continue to develop your reading skills:
- Read to your parents. Read to your siblings. Read to your pets. Read to your favorite stuffed animal.
- Remember reading aloud helps us to build good fluency practices. Good fluency practices include: accuracy, pace, phrasing, volume, smoothness and expression!
- Don't forget to work on comprehension as well. Stop and share your inner voice! Share your thoughts and feelings about the books you are reading and activities you are completing with your family.
- Be a good listener by following directions and doing your part as a responsible family member.
- Keep a journal by taking time to write about your day, write a letter to someone, create a poem and/or write a fiction story.
- Don’t forget to utilize Myon and Lexia.
Google classroom assignments may be over for this school year, but you still have access to LEXIA core 5. The school system has extended the license for students to continue to have access to this awesome site through the summer.
Here is your challenge: try to reach the level of the grade you will be entering next school year!
Grade 3: levels 13-15
Grade 4: levels 16-18
Grade 5: levels 19-21
"Reading gives us some place to go, when we have to stay where we are!" ~ Mason Cooley