All 6th - 8th grade students at R. K. Smith Middle School who are in good standing are eligible for the RKS Robotics Club. Because First Lego League (FLL) limits the size of teams that can participate in competitions, only 10 students will be selected for participation in the RKS Robotics Club.
By filling out and signing this application, students and parents understand that the following requirements are expected of students who are selected for the RKS Robotics Club Team:
- Students must consistently attend and participate in club meetings. Initially, club meetings will take place virtually (via Google Meet) after school on alternating Tuesdays from 4:00 - 5:00 PM. Once we move to in-person meetings, we will try to schedule meetings on Tuesdays but this day may have to change based on other club meetings already scheduled.
- The district qualifier dates and location will be announced at a later date, but we expect it to be at Destrehan High School on a Saturday; students will be responsible for transportation to/from this event.
- Students must know and adhere to the program ideals.
- Students will maintain positive interactions with other members. (There will be zero tolerance for bullying and harassment.) This is part of the program ideals.
- Students are attentive to the person talking and controlled in their behavior.
- Students receiving any major discipline referrals may lose their place on the robotics team. Two or more minor disciplinary incidents may also be considered for dismissal.
- Students are expected to work diligently and collaboratively with the other members of the robotics club. This is not a social club or “play time” club. If you are wasting valuable work time you may be asked to leave.
- Students must use care when using robotics equipment.
If you need more information or have any questions regarding the RKS Robotics Club, please contact one of our club sponsors: Mrs. Jennifer Green at email@example.com or Ms. Latoya Samuels at firstname.lastname@example.org.