Ethel Schoeffner Scholarship
Miss Ethel Schoeffner, former teacher of long standing with the St. Charles Parish Public School System, left the major part of proceeds from her estate to be applied to a scholarship trust fund for students graduating from St. Charles Parish Public Schools. Scholarships are to be awarded according to provisions of her Last Will and Testament, which provisions are indicated below.
Miss Schoeffner served the school system for 48 years from 1917 to 1965, as an elementary school teacher for the major part of this time and as an elementary school principal during the latter part of her tenure. She touched the lives of hundreds of students and others in meaningful ways and the effects will live on through the years. On her meager earnings and whatever investments she may have made on these, she was able to leave a significant scholarship fund for the benefit of selected students from this school system.
The Ethel Schoeffner Scholarship Fund will award $2,500 scholarships to qualified students, who must be enrolled in either a four (4) year education curriculum or a four (4) year nursing curriculum. Each scholarship will be paid at the rate of $500.00 per semester commencing at the recipient’s second trimester of the sophomore year of enrollment in college. The scholarship is renewable each semester.
In order to qualify, the recipient must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a full time student at an accredited state college or university, priority being given to Louisiana State Colleges and Universities.
- Must be enrolled in either the education or nursing curriculum.
- Must be a graduate of either Destrehan High School of Destrehan, Louisiana or Hahnville High School of Boutte, Louisiana.
Applications may be obtained from:
- St. Charles Parish School Board Office
- High School Guidance Office
- College/University Financial Aid Office
- Download PDF below
The deadline for applying for the scholarship is:
- November 15 for Spring Semester or Winter Quarter
- June 1 for Fall Semester or Fall Quarter