Greetings Mimosa Park Families,
It is my pleasure to extend a warm welcome to both new and returning members of our Mimosa Park Elementary School community as we celebrate “60 years of Success” in educating students at Mimosa Park!! I know that many of our parents, guardians, and caretakers are MPE alumni who proudly represent the success of this school. It is exciting to know that each and every one of us is part of this honorable legacy!
Your administrative team for this year is myself, Mrs. Constance Alphonse, and Mrs. Aimie Heiden. This is my second year as your principal. I have been in education for 22 years and in administration for 12 years. I am married to Kelvin, live in Destrehan, and have two children, Steven and Kristen, and two grandchildren with the third grandchild due in early November. Mrs. Alphonse has been an educator for 16 years and this is her sixth year as an administrator. She has served in a variety of roles including special education teacher and Instructional Facilitator. Mrs. Alphonse is married to Woodly, lives in Harvey, and has two children, Gabrielle and William. Mrs. Heiden has been in education for 17 years. She is transitioning from the first grade classroom to her first year as an Assistant Principal. She is married to Shawn, lives in Luling, and has three children, Jacob, Luke and Addelyn. Your MPE Administrative Team is anticipating a wonderful year of learning and growth for all!
Our MPE family continues to grow as we welcome our newest faculty members: Donna Anthony (Paraeducator), Alyssa Bordelon (Student Worker), Holly Bozzelle (1st grade teacher), Nicole Burlingame (Kindergarten Monitor), Lakeisha Chopin (Paraeducator), Angela Danford (School Office Specialist), Mary Fiffie (Lunch Monitor), Deirdre Gale (Custodian), Lynette Goodman (Cafeteria), Judy Jacob (Custodian), Charlotte Madere (Cafeteria), Ashley Smith (1st grade teacher), and Yvette Steib (Cafeteria). We are delighted to welcome them to our team!
Your presence at our virtual orientation sessions and the Meet and Greet events showed your commitment to the educational success of your child. 311 participants logged on for virtual orientation and 437 participants came to campus to drop off supplies and meet the teacher during our Meet and Greet Sessions. It was great to have all of you on camera, but even more wonderful to see your smiling faces on campus!
Our motto at MPE is “We Hold High Expectations for All”. In order to hold true to our motto, we must live our mission, vision, and beliefs as we begin this year with a commitment from all that Teaching and Learning is our core business and Continuous Improvement is our focus.
Our mission: Mimosa Park Elementary is dedicated to producing intellectually empowered, empathetic, and engaged life-long learners.
Our vision: Mimosa Park Elementary is a community of learners in which teachers, parents/ caregivers, and the community support teaching and learning by providing students with the necessary tools to become independent and self-directed, life-long learners. We embrace the diversity of our children by providing a safe, respectful, and nurturing environment that focuses on rigorous standards to meet the individual needs of students. Through the collaboration of all stakeholders, there is a commitment to support the social/emotional, academic, and digital needs of all students so they lead productive and fulfilling lives.
1. We work collaboratively to improve the school experience for students, parents/ caregivers, faculty, administration, and the community.
2. We recognize each child as an individual with different needs and strengths and work to meet each child’s needs by implementing research-based instructional practices.
3. We strive to be flexible in acknowledging and meeting the needs of each individual family.
4. We maintain open communication between and among students, parent/caregivers, faculty, administration, and the community.
5. We continually strive to grow professionally, remain adaptable, flexible and open to new ideas.
6. We maximize instructional time by focusing on grade-level standards and developing in-depth understanding of lessons intent to provide explicit instruction that increases student achievement.
7. We use performance data to make instructional decisions that increase student achievement.
8. We model a positive attitude and treat all members of the school community in a respectful and caring manner.
9. We provide a clean, safe, and nurturing environment that is conducive to learning.
10. We use current technology as an interactive, instructional tool to challenge and engage students in digital learning experiences. Holding true to our motto will enable us to implement purposeful and planned instruction to ensure that every student matters and every moment counts. Our shared role this year is to develop a partnership for success.
Thank you in advance for partnering with our faculty and staff in making this year a tremendous success as we continue the tradition of excellence in education.
Peace, love, and pelicans! Happy New School Year!
Barbara Kenney - Principal