Return to Headlines
Just the Facts!
July 20, 2022
The School Board approved:
- Resolution in memory of Javen Shorts, a deceased Destrehan High School student.
- Board committee meeting minutes of June 13 and meeting minutes of June 15, 2022.
- Selection of Alliant Insurance Services, Inc. as the district’s liability insurance brokerage.
- Selection of Riverlands Insurance Services, Inc. as the district’s flood insurance brokerage.
- Purchase of student accident and catastrophic insurance with Ameritus Life Insurance Corporation and Great American Insurance Company from Risk Services of Louisiana, Inc. at a cost of $103,391.53.
- Purchase of excess workers’ compensation insurance from Midwest Employers Casualty at a cost of $284,490.
- Purchase of faithful performance bonds for the superintendent and the tax collector from CNA Western Surety and the employee dishonesty bond from Travelers.
- Industrial tax exemption application of Bunge North America, Inc.
- Reduction of the school operations and maintenance millage from 42.06 mills to 41.06 mills and adoption of resolution approving millage rates for the 2022 tax year.
- Request for proposals for emergency project management.
- Resolution authorizing the chief financial officer to approve authorized signers for the school board, schools, and centers to open or close accounts.
- Approve the Interim FY 2023 Budget with a general fund of $168,394,800, special revenue funds of $31,985,376, debt service funds of $8,989,918, capital projects funds of $26,115,000, and a lunch fund of $6,520,600.
- Accounts payable for June 2022 totaling $6,662,123.
- Request for proposals for emergency debris monitoring services.
- Request for proposals for environmental services.
- Change order number three for the renovation and addition to the Destrehan High School Gym resulting in a credit of $46,500.
- Substantial completion of the renovation and addition to the Destrehan High School Gym.
- Change order number four for the renovation and addition to the Hahnville High School Gym resulting in a credit of $5,959.
- Substantial completion of the renovation and addition to the Hahnville High School Gym.
- Request to add two resource officers for elementary schools and one additional resource officer for secondary schools at an approximate cost of $189,000.
- Position of Physical Plant Services Project Manager at a cost range of $83,662-$101,341 (including salary and benefits).
- Selection of Safe Havens International to perform a district-wide school safety, security, and emergency preparedness assessment at a cost of $109,985.
- Restructuring plan for the Dr. Rodney R. Lafon Performing Arts Center at a cost of $151,700.
- Job description additions and revisions for the Dr. Rodney R. Lafon Performing Arts Center.
- First reading of revisions to Policy 5.74 – Purchasing and Bidding.
- Second reading and adoption of revisions to Policy 4.23 – Evaluation of Staff Members.
- Selection of ESS to provide substitute staffing management at a projected annual additional cost of $539,454.
- Personnel items.
- Revisions to the St. Charles Parish Public Schools 2022-2023 Student Code of Conduct: District Handbook.
- Request for qualifications for lobbying services.
- Tyler Dufrene, a Hahnville High School employee, is one of 15 teachers in the nation selected as an Albert Einstein Distinguished Educator Fellow.
- The school system has incurred a total of $31,885,542 in Hurricane Ida recovery expenses.
- To ensure a smooth transition, the school system will once again implement a staggered start for the beginning of the school year.
- A back-to-school brochure will be mailed to all parish residents.
- The annual youth rally will be held on July 30 in the Lafon Arts Center’s parking lot.
- An app providing GPS tracking of all school buses will be available for 2022-2023.
- As a community, we will continue to work together to keep our schools safe and promote a culture where everyone’s responsibility is to be vigilant and focused on safety.